You never know what a garden might bring!


Recently we demolished a house that was built in 1906 and I wanted to preserve as much of the old garden as possible. 

I am sure when the garden started it was maybe only a few plants that came from a generous neighbour as they often did back in the day.  With each new owner adding to the bed their own little touch as the years went by.  Many flowers were probably divided and shared with new people as they came to the area and brought as a gift for all occasions, death, birth, wedding, or just a friendly neighbourly visit.



I have been digging up and dividing that garden for the past year.  I have created three new beds on the property and 12 – yes 12 – car/van loads where shared.  Fundraisers for the horticultural society and the school breakfast program, many local gardens and a few far away.  I have met many new people and made community connections I never thought possible.  



Many that have received the plants (especially the narcissus) have shared how much the flower reminds them of home or their Grandma/Mom.  It was recently shared at a meeting how much a certain plant or flower can remind us of someone that has passed. 

Lilacs will always remind me of my grandma (who could grow even the hardest things with ease) and as I dug out the garden I found 5 little lilac bushes that were not receiving enough light.  Hopefully they will grow much better in their new place in front of the new house.  The picture below is a huge lilac bush that we played in when we were children.  



I moved 12 peonies last fall and every single one of them have flower buds coming this year – I am so excited!

So you never know what your little effort might create! 

Plant something that reminds you of someone, plant things that you love so that your family has something that reminds them of you.  Plant something new each year just for fun and plant something that you think is out of your skill set just for the learning. You never know it might become your new favourite.

Sending true gratitude to all those that have shared their love for gardening before us and have left behind many beautiful trees, gardens, plants and connections.

Comments

Popular Posts